After many frustrating nights of tuning our PID and a total of about 1.5 months of hard work, we decided to try our quadrotor.
We weren't completely happy with our PID terms, but we knew that we would only really be able to see how our unit responded while flying in air. We found a nice open area in the engineering building and set up camp. Our very first flight was a little rough but very promising! We could see that one derivative term was a little high on the pitch side, so we tuned that down a little and we could fly! We still have a huge amount of PID tuning to do, but this becomes worlds easier now that we can see our quadrotor actually flying. We broke some rotors on some rough landings, but nothing too serious. New landing gear helped us avoid too much damage.
This was a fantastic night. We took several videos of more than a minute of flight, and even then we only stopped flying because somebody had opened a door and a draft was flowing through the room that our sloppy PID couldn't handle well enough.
Finally, a good flight!
Moore Display Case
2 years ago